Mission Statement

To serve, protect, and defend the citizens of Martin County against all unlawful activities that may arise.  We will operate within the laws of the State of North Carolina and the United States of America.  We will ensure that justice will be our guide and the well being of our citizens our goal.  We will serve with compassion and dignity and exhibit the best qualities of public service.  We will ever be vigilant, ensuring that law enforcement will not be about race, status or power but about protecting our families and serving all citizens of Martin County.

Thank You,

Sheriff Dan Gibbs



Frequently Asked Questions

Question:  How can I get a permit to purchase a handgun?
Answer:  Effective April 1, 2014, handgun purchase permits applications are available online.  Applicants can visit the website (listed to the left), apply and pay online without ever visiting the office.  For your convenience or for those who may not have online access, we also have a computer kiosk in the Sheriff's Office lobby that can be accessed during our regular business hours.

Question:  I received a notice for Jury Duty. Can I speak to the Sheriff about getting out of serving?
Answer:  No, the Sheriff cannot get you out of Jury Duty.  There is a paragraph within your letter explaining that you must appear before the Judge if you wish to be excused for any reason.  By law the Sheriff's name must appear on the letters; however, he has no say in who gets picked - it is done randomly by computer.

Question:  I am a convicted felon.  Can I serve on a Jury?
Answer:  Being a convicted felon does not automatically keep you from serving on a Jury. Again, you must appear before the Judge.

Question:  Where can I get a copy of my driver's history?
Answer:  We cannot release that information to the public, you need to contact DMV. The local phone number is (252) 789-4395.

Question:  Where can I get a copy of my criminal history?
Answer:  For a local history (Martin County only), you need to go to the Clerk's Office at the Courthouse. For statewide history, contact the SBI at (919) 662-4500 or click here.

Question:  How do I get a Concealed Handgun Permit?
Answer:  You must first attend a class and pick up a packet from the Sheriff's office in the county in which you reside.  There are several forms that need to be notarized.  There is a $90.00 non-refundable fee, which includes the fingerprinting, that must be paid at the time of application.

Question:  I let my Concealed Handgun permit expire.  What do I need to do?
  You must go through the Handgun Course again and reapply as if it were a new application. Unfortunately, North Carolina law does not allow you to renew an expired permit.  We do try to send out reminder letters at least two months before your permit expires, HOWEVER, we are not required to do so, as it is your responsibility to keep track of when your permit expires and apply for a renewal accordingly. It is recommended that you apply at least 90 days before your expiration date.

Office of the Sheriff

Martin County Governmental Center
305 East Main Street
PO Box 308
Williamston, NC  27892

Phone: 252-789-4500
Fax: 252-789-4529