Moratoc Park, 102 River Road, Williamston, North Carolina 27892

 

Due to the construction of the Martin County Regional Water and Sewer Authority (MCRWASA) Water Treatment Plant and water intake transmission lines, Moratoc Park will be closed to the public September 30, 2013 until March 16, 2014. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

 This beautiful 18-acre, county-owned park on the Roanoke River is located in Williamston, North Carolina and features a river overlook, fishing pier and canoe/kayak launch.  This is the site of the original wharf of Williamston, where goods were shipped in and out.

The park was recently renovated with funding from Martin County / Martin County citizens, as well as grants from the NC Parks & Recreation Trust Fund, NC Recreation Trails Program and NC Division of Water Resources.

The park project included renovation of the Moratoc building, which is a beautiful, rustic conference building overlooking the scenic Roanoke River.  The building features a full kitchen, bathrooms, stone fireplace and spacious deck.  The building has a capacity to seat 250 people comfortably and has an outdoor covered area for cooking (pig pickings and fish fries, etc.).   The building is a perfect setting for receptions, weddings, meetings and special events.

The park renovation project also included:

• Addition of playground equipment                
• Construction of an approximate 0.5 mile walking trail that connects with Williamston’s Skewarkee Trail, a  0.8 mile trail that connects the Roanoke River with downtown Williamston  walking trail, benches
• Construction of a picnic shelter and additional restroom facilities
• Construction of a canoe/kayak launch platform, ADA accessible fishing rails, and gazebo on the deck

 

 

 

Additionally, several historic buildings can be viewed from the outside, including a one-room schoolhouse and a former lumber mill commissary.

Rental Usage Policy and Application for Use are listed under Forms & Documents in left margin of this page. 

Contact Marion Thompson at 252-789-4300 or email mthompson@martincountyncgov.com for rental reservations.

 

 

 

Playground Equipment Added 2011 

Barnes House Built in 1854

Picinic Shelter Added 2011